Summer dancing will begin on Monday May 28th and last through until August 20th. Each dance will be from 7:00 – 9:30pm but there are two locations we’ll be using. Most dances will be at St. Anne’s Parish Hall – 859 Barnardo Ave – and one will be at George Street United Church – Corner of George and McDonnel Streets.
There will be seven summer dances to keep your skills sharp and the dancing will be basic and mainstream levels. Our callers will be Wayne Whatman and Joe Uebelacker and the cost will be $5.00 per person.
For more information please call Sandy at 705-741-2582 or view our flyer!
Hello to all Otonabee squares dancers!
- Next weekend on Sunday 29th Jan we will be hosting our 3rd Annual FROST FLING dance.
- We have another caller to share the stage with Wayne. This year we invited Dave Williamson who is a caller from Guelph. In addition to being a caller he is also President of the Toronto & District Square Dance Association. He is a fantastic caller (and singer) and is very supportive to new dancers.
- The dance level will be mainstream and basic so all the dancers currently dancing on Monday night will be comfortable with whatever is called. (The new dancers currently in lessons will not be able to dance but are welcome to come, free of charge, to watch).
- As hosts I ask you all to step forward and help make this event a great success. Right now the long range weather forecast looks good!
- We ask all our members to bring something in the way of food; singles should get together and share doing up veggie or fruit platters or even sandwiches. A sign up sheet will be there on Monday night. We need help setting up; kitchen and clean up. If we all do a little it is not too much for anyone person. But MOST IMPORTANT please plan to attend!
- Dress code is ladies should wear skirts (does not have to be crinolines!) and those ladies dancing as men have the option of pants or skirts. Men should wear long sleeved shirts.
- Location: Westdale United Church, 1509 Sherbrooke St. W. Peterborough 2-4:30pm
- Many in the square dance community are watching our club with interest. (Even in Ottawa they are interested in the success of our club) They are amazed that we have grown in such a short time to be such a great club. This is due to all of you who have come out regularly, brought in friends and continue to make every Monday night such a fun time.
- General notes: On Feb 6th the new dancers will be joining us on Monday nights. Please make them feel welcome and introduce yourself.
- We have two Tuesday lessons left. The more experienced dancers (yes even if you just started last September you are a more experienced dancer!) who come out and help, the better the new dancers will be when they join with us on Mondays. So you are not only helping them but the quality of your own dancing on Mondays will be better. Also you become a better dancer when you learn to help others.
- Some who have attended every new class will be earning their “angel” dangle.
- On Feb 13th we will have a Valentine Party – Make you own Ice-Cream Sundae.
- Sunday, Feb 19th – Mainstream Dance at George Street United Church 2-4:30pm
- Remember to “lug a mug”. Save all that styrofoam!
- Talking of mugs, a couple of members are looking for two lost mugs. One is an insulated mug with a Saturn logo on it and the other is a china mug with a “lavender” motif. If anyone found these let us know.
We will be having a Pizza Party Dance! (not a pot-luck). Club will provide the pizza and veggie platters. If you have any Christmas baking you would like to bring for dessert, it would be gladly received!
Time and place remains the same – 6pm – 9:30pm. George Street United Church, cnr McDonnel and George Sts., We will welcome new dancers to come out and meet us and see what square dancing is all about.
There will be a couple of tips to accommodate these new dancers but the rest of the dancing will be for our current members. It will be FREE night too!
This January we are going to try something different! We will be doing a 4 week session of lessons for new people on a Tuesday evening beginning Jan 10. These will be held at MacDonnel Recreation Centre (Lawn Bowling Club), 577 MacDonnel St, Peterborough (George Street Church is not available). Time 7-9:30pm. Cost will be $20 for the session, payable in advance. After the 4 week session these new dancers will be invited to join our Monday club night dance.
All new dancers will be invited to attend our Pot Luck on Jan 2, 2012. This will give them an opportunity to meet our club members and see what we are all about. However they will not be able to dance except for a couple of tips Wayne will call just for them.
Want to earn an “angel” dangle? If you are a Monday dancer, come and help (free of charge) at the Tuesday lessons.
Thank you so much to all of the club members who were present on Tuesday for the CHEX Newswatch 5 O’Clock show! We were one person short of 4 squares which is an amazing turnout for a Tuesday morning! You can view the broadcast on their website. Be sure to watch through to the end as our club is featured throughout!
Also, don’t forget that this Sunday, October 23rd, from 2:00-4:30pm we have an afternoon dance for an ‘Introduction to Modern Square Dancing’ at George Street United Church hall, our regular dance hall, located on the corner of George and McDonnel Streets in Peterborough.
How’s your turkey belly after the holiday weekend? Full I hope! You can start working it off again next Monday at our club night and at a couple of upcoming dances!
Our club is hosting a Halloween Dance on October 30th from 2:00 – 4:30pm and we want you all to come – in costume! Costumes are completely optional, but are encourages as prizes will be awarded for various categories.
Our neighbour club, Lift Lock Squares, is hosting their annual Pie Night Dance on Saturday November 12th. There will be tips for beginner dancers so please be sure to join us there starting at 7:00pm!
Find out more about both events on our dances page.