This week has been proclaimed Square Dance Week in Peterborough by the mayor of the city. This is in part to celebrate the 50th annual Spring Spree which is happening this Saturday April 21st.
The dance will be held at Crestwood Secondary School and there will be afternoon and evening sessions from 2:00p m- 5:00pm and 7:00 – 10:30pm, followed by an evening snack. This dance is hosted by Lift Lock Squares and will feature several different callers and all levels of dancing. For more details visit our dance page or view the flyer.
See you there!
The Spring Spree is fast approaching and we thought you might like some more information about the event. View the document Spring Spree Details to read a full description of the event, the callers and all of the activities planned for the day.
You can also click to view the 2012 Spring Spree flyer.
Just a reminder that the above dance will take place this coming Sunday from 2-4:30pm.
Caller will be Joe Uebelacker.
Please come out and support this dance. Not only will it be a lot of fun, it is a chance to improve your mainstream moves so you will be ready for Spring Spree! Dancing to other callers is one of the best ways to become a more proficient dance.
Don’t forget two upcoming “outside” dances. See flyers at club night.
Sunday afternoon, March 25 in Stouffville
Tuesday night, March 27 in Baltimore (north of Cobourg).
A great party was enjoyed by all last night – Ice Cream Sundaes and a free night too! Lots of red and pink attire. Everything looked very cheerful!
For the mainstream dancers don’t forget this Sunday, Feb 19th – 2-4:30pm George Street United. Our caller will be Berry Chumbley from Napanee.
Next Monday night we will have a clothing sale of square dance attire. Although our club dress policy is “casual”, anyone who wants to wear square dance attire is welcome to do so. This is why we offer square dance clothing for sale (when we are given it!) We decided to donate the proceeds to charity so if you did not get your ballot in last night for your favourite charity, email me asap. We will give preference to local Peterborough and area charities. The decision will be made at our executive meeting this coming Sunday. Please note that the sale will start at 6:30pm at the church.
If you have any issue, suggestion, concern you wish to bring to the executive to discuss. Please let me know before Sunday.
George Street United Church has offered our members the chance of taking part in a two hour course on the use of a defibrillator. This will take place this Saturday 10-12. It is presumed that you will have taken CPR training at some point and there will also be a refresher in this. If you are interested, just show up. It is free. The church now has a defibrillator which they have told us we will have access to should we need it and have someone who knows how to use it.
Please read the ABC Squares flyer which advertises the new initiative in square dancing that will start up in Peterborough on Friday, March 9. A big advantage in this program is that if we have friends or meet people interested in square dancing we can direct them to ABC Squares. They can join this group at any time. We don’t have to tell them, sorry, our next class is in September. So we can direct people to ABC where they will get a good grounding in 22 moves. In September they can then attend both groups but in ours they will be able to learn the full basic program. Likewise our members can attend ABC Squares where they can get more floor time, listen to a different caller and do more square dancing! This is especially good for our newest dancers who can get more instruction in some of the basics. In fact all our dancers would benefit dancing at ABC as you will hear a different caller. Dancing to different callers improves your skill!
Our Social Convenor (Sandy Rudd) has found it necessary to step down from the executive. If we are to continue enjoying tea/coffee at club nights we need a volunteer to step in and do this job for the next three months. This person is responsible to purchasing the supplies for refreshment breaks and ensuring that volunteers are recruited to help in the kitchen on a rotational basic every Monday night. More than one person can share this job so if you are interested, speak to Sharon or email one of us. See the webpage for all executive members contact numbers and email addresses (otonabeesquares.org).
If there is anyone who has some bookkeeping skills, our treasurer, Ingrid, would be glad of some help.
Please remember the Oshawa Dance – Sunday Feb 26 2-4:40pm. See flyer in the red book for more details.!
Hope to see you all out, if not on Sunday, then on Monday!!
Howard and Jean Lander
Hello to all Otonabee squares dancers!
- Next weekend on Sunday 29th Jan we will be hosting our 3rd Annual FROST FLING dance.
- We have another caller to share the stage with Wayne. This year we invited Dave Williamson who is a caller from Guelph. In addition to being a caller he is also President of the Toronto & District Square Dance Association. He is a fantastic caller (and singer) and is very supportive to new dancers.
- The dance level will be mainstream and basic so all the dancers currently dancing on Monday night will be comfortable with whatever is called. (The new dancers currently in lessons will not be able to dance but are welcome to come, free of charge, to watch).
- As hosts I ask you all to step forward and help make this event a great success. Right now the long range weather forecast looks good!
- We ask all our members to bring something in the way of food; singles should get together and share doing up veggie or fruit platters or even sandwiches. A sign up sheet will be there on Monday night. We need help setting up; kitchen and clean up. If we all do a little it is not too much for anyone person. But MOST IMPORTANT please plan to attend!
- Dress code is ladies should wear skirts (does not have to be crinolines!) and those ladies dancing as men have the option of pants or skirts. Men should wear long sleeved shirts.
- Location: Westdale United Church, 1509 Sherbrooke St. W. Peterborough 2-4:30pm
- Many in the square dance community are watching our club with interest. (Even in Ottawa they are interested in the success of our club) They are amazed that we have grown in such a short time to be such a great club. This is due to all of you who have come out regularly, brought in friends and continue to make every Monday night such a fun time.
- General notes: On Feb 6th the new dancers will be joining us on Monday nights. Please make them feel welcome and introduce yourself.
- We have two Tuesday lessons left. The more experienced dancers (yes even if you just started last September you are a more experienced dancer!) who come out and help, the better the new dancers will be when they join with us on Mondays. So you are not only helping them but the quality of your own dancing on Mondays will be better. Also you become a better dancer when you learn to help others.
- Some who have attended every new class will be earning their “angel” dangle.
- On Feb 13th we will have a Valentine Party – Make you own Ice-Cream Sundae.
- Sunday, Feb 19th – Mainstream Dance at George Street United Church 2-4:30pm
- Remember to “lug a mug”. Save all that styrofoam!
- Talking of mugs, a couple of members are looking for two lost mugs. One is an insulated mug with a Saturn logo on it and the other is a china mug with a “lavender” motif. If anyone found these let us know.
On Wednesday, April 25 from 7-9pm, Lift Lock Squares invite you to an evening of introduction to plus level. This is a free evening. Dancers must be confidant at the mainstream level. If you have any questions speak to Howard or Jean Lander on any club night or phone 905 342 5450.
Location: St. Anne’s Parish hall, 859 Barnardo Ave, Peterborough.